The Andreasson Web Page
Chapter 10: Child Development.
Understand Jean Piaget’s views of cognitive development. The Jean Piaget Archives: http://www.unige.ch/piaget/PiagetGB.html This is a good site for general research information on the life and contributions of the famous child cognitive developmental theorist. Another good site is, “I Am Your Child.” http://www/iamyourchild.org/toc.html This is more of a national educational campaign to raise awareness of the importance of the first three years of life. A third site to visit is, The Childstudy.net site, which features an interactive tutorial on the major theories of child development and a forum through which development-related questions are posted and answered, at http://childstudy.net/index.html Please feel free to explore other potential sites on your own. Follow your imagination with this exciting field of child development/life-span. Don’t forget however, to share your findings with the class. That way, we can all benefit from your research.
1. What is the nature-nurture controversy about?
2. What are Jean Piaget’s views of cognitive development?
3. What is attachment, and how is it demonstrated?
4. Describe Erikson’s early stages of social development: namely,
5. Trust versus mistrust; Autonomy versus shame and doubt; and
Initiative versus inferiority.
6. Compare Erikson’s stages with the early stages of Sigmund Freud.
7. FILM: Human Development Concepts. Contextual Issues; Urie
Bronfenbrenner and “contextual systems.”
8. Major Theories of Development: PSA; Learning/Behaviorism;
Cognitive, and Observational Learning.
9. LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT THEORY of Aging.
10. SOCIO-EMOTIONAL SELECTIVITY THEORY.
11. S. FREUD’S (6) PSYCHO-SEXUAL STAGES.