CAD Design & Drafting
Mechanical Design Technology
Welcome to our New Student Orientation Site.
The information below will help you with applying to our college, getting your testing done, choosing and registering for classes, and signing up for financial aid.
Choosing the Program That's Right for You
The CAD and Mechanical Design Program at Spokane Community College has several options for students (Meet with a Registration Counselor or one of the Faculty members to choose your program option):
- CAD Design & Drafting AAS Degree (2-year)
- Mechanical Design Technology AAS Degree (2-year)
- CAD Drafting Certificate (4-qtr)
- Transfer Options available through EWU for a B.A in Applied Technology
For more detailed information on these degrees see Program Information page first
If you have further questions please contact either our program registration counselor or one of the faculty listed on the documents or this web site for more information, or for a tour of our facilities.
The Registration Process:
Stage 1: Apply to the Program
- Option 1: Apply online
- Option 2: Fill out the paper application in person with the Admissions front desk at Bigfoot Central (BFC) in building 15
- Receive your Student ID# (from our “ctcLink” Software)
Stage 2: Contact the SCC Placement Testing Center
- Schedule your College Placement and MR/SR Placement test
- The Placement Testing Center is located in building 16 room 127
Stage 3: Will receive an email with a Registration Appointment
- Schedule an Appointment with Our Registration Counselor: Michelle Gendusa
- Choose Your Program (see below)
- Make Sure You Meet Program Requirements (see below)
- Get Transcripts from Other Colleges - if required
Stage 4: Cashiers office – building 15
- Tuition balance
- Financial Aid (see the section below)
- $25 Parking Permit
Financial Aid or FAFSA Information:
- Priority Funding Dates (deadline dates to apply). These dates are on Financial Assistance's (FA's) website.
- If you miss the deadline, FA will still process the paperwork but in the order received - however there could be a delay in approving their funds and it may not be in your ‘BankMobile' account by the time the quarter starts (anywhere from 2 – 6 weeks).
- The FA front desk is also located at Bigfoot Center in building 15 and their general contact number is 533-7017 or 1-800-248-5644 ext. 7017.
- There are several Paperwork Steps students must submit - so it's very important they check their “To Do List” on their ctcLink Student Center account to see which paperwork FA is missing from them.
What Are The Requirements for Success in CAD or Mechanical Design?
Buying Your Books and Supplies
The SCC Bookstore will carry the books and supplies required for each course. Use the list below to determine which books and supplies you will need to start the program (Note: Some supplies and equipment are marked with an astrisk indicating you should wait until the first day of classes to get more information from your instructor. These supplies would not be required the first day of class)
CAD & Mechanical Design: Book, Equipment, and Supplies List
Go to the SCC - College Store to check on books available and possibly pre-order
Information About CAD Software and Computers
Our program will use several major CAD and Solid Modeling Software programs that are kept current with the needs of our industry. As an "Enrolled Student" in CAD or Mechanical Design you will have access to download the two major programs we use for home use (Educational Use Only). The specifics and codes for downloading will be available in the courses that require CAD applications.
Here is a document that will give you the basic needs of a home comuter that will run the two CAD programs:
Computer Basic Requirements for CAD Applications
Books and Supplies